This page is where I'm going to collect things I wish I'd known earlier. I know it's impossible for anyone to know instantly after their kid's diagnosis all the things they need to do, but I hate how often extremely useful tidbits of information have come across my path almost by accident and almost never from the experts to whom I (together with my insurance company) am paying thousands of dollars.
Hopefully these tips will help someone else, too. Many of them are specific to Malachi's brand of CP, but you never know what someone else will find useful.
1. The Preemie Growth Project. Malachi did not see significant results from these mineral supplements, but other friends did!
2. The Anat Baniel Method. Start this as early as possible. Here is everything I've written on the subject — as you can tell, not all positive, but I still think it's the best method out there: http://www.outrageousfortune.net/search/label/Anat%20Baniel%20Method
3. Malachi's scooter. Use a scooter board for children who can't crawl yet to help them get around, be more independent and learn spatial reasoning.
4. PediaKid Appetite Stimulant. This stuff tastes good, is easy to administer and really works! Malachi gained four pounds in four months on this.
5. Constipation tips. Like most kids with CP, Malachi gets stopped up fairly frequently. You can find all my tips for constipation here. Right now we mostly use a teaspoon of MRM Cal-Mag-Zinc each morning and it seems to keep things flowing.
BTW, why shouldn't you just use MiraLAX? Glad you asked. (Spoiler alert: It contains neurotoxins and blocks the body's ability to absorb nutrients.)
6. Pinterest. In addition to this page, I also maintain a Pinterest board on cerebral palsy services and cerebral palsy products, where I stick anything I come across in my Internet adventures.
I'll keep adding as I think of other things that have made our lives easier!